Fair Trade LA launched a campaign in 2014 to make the City of Los Angeles a Fair Trade Town. We believe that Los Angeles as a Fair Trade Town would publicly demonstrate its support of Fair Trade principles. It would draw its residents and tourists to the city to conveniently shop local, green and fair. And Los Angeles would be seen as an international city that supports farmers, artisans and producers of Fair Trade products in the developing world by bringing Fair Trade products to its consumers.
Fair Trade Town’s criteria: The following criteria must be satisfied in order for Los Angeles to be recognized by Fair Trade Campaigns as a Fair Trade Town.
Fair Trade LA will:
- Build a team to manage this campaign and educate about Fair Trade and engage others in this work.
- Identify 96 retail locations in LA that carry Fair Trade products.
- Build a network of 96 community organizations that use or serve Fair Trade products.
- Gain the attention of the media which will show how local action can deliver life changing benefits to farmers, artisans, workers and their communities. See the write up in the LA Progressive (https://www.laprogressive.com/fair-trade/)
- Secure a resolution from the city government, endorsing Fair Trade in its city.
To join in this effort, please email us at email@example.com. For the organizations and businesses that support our Town campaign, visit http://fairtradecampaigns.org/campaign/los-angeles-ca/